Great Northern Railway Depot: Built in 1894, the year
after the tracks were completed the Depot was originally located on the
south side of the line. During an expansion of the rail yard in 1922, the
building was moved to a location on Railroad Ave and enlarged to include a
freight room. No longer an active depot, it is now owned by the
City of Skykomish and will be the center of a new community complex.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the Washington
Herritage Register, it is one of the last wood frame Great Northern depots
remaining in the state.
Cascadia Hotel: The Cascadia, originally the Hatley
Hotel, was built in 1922 on the site once occupied by Martin's Boarding
House. A fire in 1937 destroyed the second and third floors of the hotel
and only the second story was rebuilt.
Skykomish Community Church: King County records
indicate this building was constructed in 1939. Local sources say the
structure dates from even earlier and was originally built as a residence
and later converted for church use. Remodels in the 1950's and 1990's have
given the building its present form.
Skykomish Town Hall: This building was a former Great
Northern Railway storage building once located south of the tracks. In the
1930's it was moved to its present location to serve as a town hall it was
remodeled as a New Deal WPA (Works Progress Administration) project.
Olympia Tavern: The Olympia Tavern was opened in 1897
by Patrick McEvoy, a Great Northern Railway engineer. McEvoy was at the
controls when the first passenger train crossed the summit in 1893. The
original building was destroyed in the 1904 fire and was rebuilt in 1905.
During prohibition it was known as the Maple Leaf Confectionary. It
reverted to a saloon in 1933 and was renamed the Whistling Post. A robbery
and arson fire on April 10, 2012 destroyed the building but by January 27,
2013 it was back up and running again.
Perhaps Skykomish's most prominent building, the
Skykomish Hotel was built in 1904 on the site of an earlier hotel that
burned to the ground. A magazine article published shortly after the new
hotel was completed described it as "a fine four-story hotel, built
by D.J. Manning, costing $10,000." In early years the hotel served
travelers on the Great Northern Railway and was a well-known tourist
destination for visitors seeking the area's magnificent fishing and
Maloney's General Store: Built by town founder, John
Maloney, in 1893, this building for many years housed the town's general
store and post office. With its typical Western Boomtown facade, the
building began as a single 30 by 60 foot room. As the town grew, Maloney
prospered and east and west wings were added. In addition to being a local
landmark, it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the
Washington Heritage Register. It is now the home of the Skykomish
Maloney's Warehouse: This building originally sat
alongside the railroad tracks, across the street and slightly west of its
present-day location. It served as an ice house and warehouse for John
Maloney's General Merchandise, with goods being transported in and out of
town by freight train. In the early 1920's it was moved to its present day
location, and not long after converted for use as a movie house which
operated until about 1969.
Manual Training Building: The Manual Training class of
the Skykomish School built this building in 1922 as a school project.
Formerly located one block west, it was moved to this location when the
present day school was built. In 1954 it was purchased by the Town of
Skykomish to serve as a fire hall. Today it houses the Town's maintenance
Worker's Cottage: Dating from the 1890's, this modest
dwelling is typical of an early Skykomish worker's cottage. Originally
just one room, a kitchen and bathroom were later added to the rear of the
Teacherage: Known locally as the Teacher's Cottage,
this circa 1915 residence of Craftsman design originally housed single,
female teachers employed by the Skykomish School District. It is now the
home of the District's Superintendent.
Skykomish School: The Skykomish School, constructed
in 1936, is one of seven schools built in Washington State under President
Franklin Roosevelt's Works Progress Administration. Under the program, the
community provided the concrete and lumber from local sources, and the WPA
provided the labor. The building was designed by architect William Mallis
and it replaced a two story, wood framed schoolhouse on the same property.
The three story concrete building has streamlined Modern detailing and Art
Deco ornament. Although utilitarian in appearance, it was considered at
the forefront of school design when constructed. Through careful
stewardship, the Skykomish School building retains its historic integrity
both inside and out and has been in continual use serving grades
kindergarten through twelve for over 60 years.
Skykomish Library: In November 1944, the town of
Skykomish became the first municipality in King County to contact with the
King County Library System for library services. For the first 50 years
the Library shared the Town Hall building with the Town Office and moved
to this building in October of 1993. The building dates from 1947 and has
housed several businesses that have come and gone through the years.
Masonic Hall: Still active, the Skykomish Free and
Accepter Masons Lodge #259 is the oldest and only surviving fraternal
organization in Skykomish. The hall was built in 1924 with donated labor
and local materials and through the years has been the hub of many of the
town's social events, including the annual Great Northern Days typically
held in September.